Most traditional parties on both sides of the language divide voted in favour. The commission will consist of 17 members. Four experts will make a preliminary report this summer to set the framework for the commission’s tasks.
The commission will examine a large number of things:
- how was the pandemic prepared and handled?
- which information was at the government’s disposal after the early outbreak in China?
- how were the strategic stocks of materials and medicines used?
- the coordination of the various measures
- the support of hospitals
- the lockdown measures
- the role of the National Crisis Centre
- the non-medical aspects of the crisis
- recommendations for the future
Earlier, a similar commission has been installed in the Flemish Parliament. This will focus on the Flemish approach of the health crisis, e.g. in the nursing homes, a Flemish responsibility.